12/5/07

Buy local, dang it....


I made a trip to the Ashe County Farmers Market over the weekend to get some photos of Ann Rose (pictured below) for an article Charlotte was writing for the Mtn Times. I'm ashamed to admit it, but this was the first time I'd been to the market in over a year. Through Charlotte's article I realized lots of local farmers depend on their weekends at local markets to pay many of their bills.

Ann Rose relies on sales from each weekend's market to help support her life "off-grid" on Rose Mountain Farms.

Especially this time of year, the Ashe market is much like a mini Christmas in July. Crafts, trees, wreaths, jellies, honey, jewelry, etc, etc, yada, yada.

Point is, there is plenty of stuff available to buy to support our local farmers instead of always going to Wal-Mart. I'm going to try to do better.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I'm so proud of this blog.
Very consciensous.
Why can't I spell that word?